Caldo Verde (Portuguese Green Soup)
- 1/2 pound linguiça, chouriço, or Spanish chorizo , sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 cups quality chicken broth
- 4 medium yellow potatoes such as Yukon Gold , peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 pound collard greens (can substitute kale) , thick stems removed, leaves cut into ultra thin slices (not chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- extra olive oil for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the sausage and fry for 3-4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a plate (leaving the sausage drippings in the pot) and reserve until serving.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook them until soft and translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth, potatoes and salt, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Use an immersion blender to puree the potatoes (you can decide whether to puree all or part of them). Add the kale and simmer for another 2-3 minutes until the kale is wilted and tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and add a few slices of the reserved sausage. If desired, drizzle each serving with some additional olive oil. Serve with some crusty or rustic bread.